The second-half saw UP-Tuks continue their fine possession play and they continued to probe for their second goal of the match. Wandile Makhanya nearly grabbed a brace in the 50th minute after launching a powerful shot after a prelude of technical dribbling just outside the box, the shot just sailing inches wide. UP-Tuks right winger Jeremiah Nkwana went down in a tackle in the penalty box but the referee was far from convinced and “play on” was the call. However, three minutes later Jeremiah Nkwana then converted a legitimate spot-kick after NMMU centre-back Athini Bisha was penalised for a handball offence. Tuks looked to be in pilot-mode as they slowed down the game with a 2-0 advantage. A messy clearance by NMMU goalie Matthew Booysen nearly handed UP-Tuks a third goal. UP-Tuks second-half substitute Tebogo Galane nearly made an impact after his lob attempt went just wide of the goal target.

NMMU were awarded a last-minute corner to salvage some much needed pride but the ball was well defended by Tuks, ending the game 2-0 to UP-Tuks. This earned UP-Tuks three valuable points as they look to build some momentum going forward and placing them mid-table, fourth on the log, with four points secured. UP-Tuks attacking midfielder Claudio De Almeida received man of the match status thanks to his fine midfield exploits.

Round three also saw the Vaal University of Technology (VUT) beat Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) 3-0 at VUT’s home ground. North West University (NWU-Pukke) also claimed a 1-0 home win against the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits). Walter Sisulu University (WSU) was left smarting after a 3-1 defeat against the University of the Western Cape (UWC)

On 10 August, UP-Tuks faced WSU in Mthatha in round four of Varsity Football. The first half was goalless with midfielder and eventual man of the match for their round three meeting De Almeida being stretchered off with an injury. Another injury occurred just before half-time with Frank Mpedi also having to be replaced. Defender Lawrence Ntswane finally scored a goal for UP in the second half. The rest of the match and extra time remained goalless, despite increased pressure from WSU and the WSU supporters.

UWC continued their leading ways when they beat VUT 2-1 in round four. TUT, bouncing back from their round three defeat, beat Wits 2-0, handing Wits their first loss at home. NWU-Pukke took a home win against NMMU, who remained goalless against NWU-Pukke’s three goals.

UWC are currently at the top of the log with ten points, followed by NWU-Pukke in second position and Tuks in third position. Round five kicks off on Monday this week.


Photo: SASPA

Website | view posts